JOIN THE HARD ROAD TRIO at THE MARANA BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL MARCH 11-13, 2022 sponsored by the Desert Bluegrass Association. The Trio is offering workshops at 12 noon at the festival site.
Anne: bass (all levels)
Chris: vocals (all levels)
Steve: mandolin (beginning and intermediate)
Contact Chris at email@example.com for reservations and information. The fee is $30 for a 2+ hour workshop.
Info for the Marana Festival can be found at
OUR FIRST URBAN DNA CAMP took place Jan. 17th-19th, 2020, at Site 17 Event Center, 840 E.17th St., and included an all star concert, two days of instrument and vocal classes taught by a distinguished (and delightful) faculty, and jams.
2020 Urban DNA Faculty:
- Tim May - guitar www.timmaymusic.net Tim has been working in and out of the Nashville area for over 25 years as a sideman, session player, band member and performer on guitar, mandolin, banjo and dobro on stages such as the Grand Ole Opry and Carnegie Hall. He is also a sought-after luthier. His ability to flat-pick with great agility and impeccable style is equal to his ability to communicate the fundamentals and subtleties of music to his students. He teaches regularly at Camp Bluegrass, Kaufman Kamp, Colorado Roots Music Camp, Nashcamp, and the Swannanoa Gathering.
- Alan Munde - banjo www.mundemusic.com A master of both melodic and traditional Scruggs styles of playing, Alan has played professionally for over 40 years. He has performed extensively throughout the United States, Canada, and abroad. Long admired for his creative mastery of adapting fiddle tunes to the banjo, Alan's vast repertoire ranges from standard bluegrass and Texas swing to gospel, jazz and original compositions. Of his more than 20 recordings, two-- Alan Munde's Banjo Sandwich and A Traitor in Our Midst-- were best-selling bluegrass albums for years. His work including that with the Country Gazette, has defined a generation of bluegrass music.
- Nate Lee - fiddle www.thenatelee.com Nate is an International Bluegrass Music Association award-winning instrumentalist and renowned teacher of private lessons and music camps. While studying for his degree in Commercial Music at the Bluegrass & Country Music Program at South Plains College, Nate joined the Alan Munde Gazette. He toured with the band for six years. After moving to Nashville in 2012, Nate toured with Irene Kelley, Town Mountain, and the Jim Hurst Trio. In 2017, Nate joined the award-winning Becky Buller Band as their mandolin player and twin fiddler.
- Anne Luna - bass www.annelunamusic.com Anne is a graduate of the Commercial Music Program at South Plains College where she was recognized for her outstanding work. Involved in the acoustic music scene since childhood, she also studied classical bass at Texas Tech. One of the co-founders of DNA Camps, Anne has taught on the faculty at Camp Bluegrass, Hill Country Acoustic Camp, and Walker Creek Music Camp. She has toured the country with The Hard Road Trio, contributing to their recordings along with others including Joe Baxter, Alan Munde and Kenny Maines.
- Steve Smith - mandolin www.desertnight.com Steve Smith is well known for his mastery of the mandolin and distinctive musical style, and has toured and performed most of his life. He has been on faculty at a variety of music camps including Camp Bluegrass, California Coast Music Camp, Colorado Roots Camp, and Kaufman Kamp, and is a co-founder of DNA Music Camps. He's toured extensively with the likes of Jim Hurst, Alan Munde, Bill Evans and Missy Raines (Cloud Valley and beyond), and has appeared at major festivals such as Hardly Strictly Bluegrass and the Walnut Valley Festival. He is sought after as a studio player and as producer and recording engineer in his own studio, The Cave.
- Chris Sanders - vocals www.hardroadtrio.com With an MA in Vocal Performance from Cal State East Bay and a BA in Music Education from Concordia College, Moorhead, she has taught voice and commercial music at New Mexico State University and University of Texas at El Paso. A co-founder of DNA Music Camps, she's inspired to keep growing the circle of music as camp administrator; she's enjoyed teaching singing and songwriting at Camp Bluegrass and Hill Country Acoustic Camp. A life-time musician (singer, pianist, guitarist and songwriter), she has performed choral, solo classical, musical theater, jazz and acoustic roots music in venues from Carnegie Hall to bluegrass festivals and Berkeley's Freight and Salvage.
- Dave Polston - jams https://www.facebook.com › public › Dave-Polston An Arizona native, Dave is a multi-instrumentalist and a favorite on the Tucson music scene where you'll hear him with the 2 Lazy 2 Ranch Band. He is a sought after jam leader known as a fine musician and gracious guide for experienced and novice jammers.
Jade Throneberry - intern Jade is a 17 year old fiddler playing a variety of styles including Traditional Country, Bluegrass, and Old Time. She competed in the Lea County Fair Fiddle Contest the past three years and achieved first place in her age division and Junior Grand Champion as well as first and second place in Twin Fiddling. She attended Camp Bluegrass at South Plains College in Levelland, Texas the past six summers and assisted instructor Nate Lee in 2019. She has shared the stage with Alan Munde, Nate Lee, The Hard Road Trio, and Becky Buller. Jade performs regularly at the Mayhill Café, Meadow Music Hall and bluegrass jams in Lubbock.
The Hotel Tucson City Center offered a special rate for participants in 2020.